from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various protozoans of the class Mastigophora, all of which possess one or more flagella.
- adj. Of or belonging to the class Mastigophora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to the Mastigophora.
- n. Any one of the Mastigophora.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a usually nonphotosynthetic free-living protozoan with whiplike appendages; some are pathogens of humans and other animals
From New Latin Mastīgophora, class name : Greek mastīx, mastīg-, whip + New Latin -phora (from Greek, neuter pl. of -phoros, -phore).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.