from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Hometown, school, or parish pride or loyalty, as opposed to nationalism or patriotism
- n. Love or celebration of a woman's influence upon society; a women's equivalent to male patriotism
- n. Love of the motherland, as opposed to patriotism as love of the fatherland.
- n. Pacifist patriotism; love of society as opposed to love of the state
- n. Devotion to Mother Earth, ecology, sustainability, peace and the survival of the human species as long as possible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Loyalty to one's mother country.
A blend of alma mater and patriotism, later reanalyzed as derived from matri- by analogy with patriotism (Wiktionary)