from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several maritime grasses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A name of several maritime grasses, as the sea sand-reed (Ammophila arundinacea) which is used in Holland to bind the sand of the seacoast dikes (see Beach grass, under beach); also, the Lygeum Spartum, a Mediterranean grass of similar habit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A grass, Ammophila arundinacea (Psamma arenaria): so called from its use in making mats. Also called sea-mat-weed, halm, and marram.
- n. Less properly— Spartina stricta, seaside-grass.
- n. Nardus stricta, small matweed (see mat-grass)
- n. Lygeum Spartum, hooded matweed.
mat + weed (Wiktionary)