American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The intervening time.
- adv. During or in the intervening time: Meanwhile, life goes on.
- adv. At the same time: The court is deliberating; meanwhile, we must be patient.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as meantime.
- n. Same as meantime: only in the phrase in the meanwhile: two words, written as one.
- n. The time between two events
- adv. During the time (that something is happening).
- adv. At the same time, but elsewhere.
- adv. at the same time but in another place
- adv. during the intervening time
- n. the time between one event, process, or period and another
- From Middle English. Adverb is by ellipsis from in the mean while, noun being conventionally written as one word after the adverb. (Wiktionary)
“McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.”
“The symbol for the British pound, meanwhile, comes from the Latin word for scales”
“Moyer, meanwhile, is a likely fit for the role of Mary's ex-husband, who apparently has an important part to play.”
“Robertson, meanwhile, is trying to kill the image of a bank famed for its stability and clean succession-planning being rocked by internecine warfare.”
“Frankel, meanwhile, is rated the best horse Henry Cecil has had in many a year after a sensational 10-length success in last weekend's Royal Lodge at Ascot propelled him to the top of the betting for the Newmarket Classic.”
“The blogosphere, meanwhile, is beginning to show signs of commercial acumen: "Lots of bloggers, over time, make a good living – perhaps a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year from advertising.”
“I hear Pearson, meanwhile, is working on a musical version of her latest book, I Think I Love You, about a Welsh teenager's obsession with David Cassidy.”
“His racing education, meanwhile, is also continuing at a rapid pace.”
“Janis, meanwhile, is leaning against him – draped might be a better word – her head on his shoulder, her hand on his knee, her smile sly or victorious, I can't quite tell which.”
“The United States, meanwhile, is ranked by human rights and democracy promotion groups as one of the freest countries in the world.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘meanwhile’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words from 2009 'Mary and Max' film.
+structural words that may be commonplace, but have plenty of punch
Looking for tweets for meanwhile.