from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A coin from the Ottoman Empire, worth twenty piasters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A silver coin of Turkey formerly rated at twenty, but since 1880 at nineteen, piasters (about 83 cents).
- n. A gold coin of Turkey equal (in 1913) to one hundred piastres ($4.396 or 18s. 3/4d.); a lira, or Turkish pound.
- n. A Turkish honorary order established in 1851 by Abdul-Mejid, having as its badge a medallion surrounded by seven silver rays and crescents. It is often conferred on foreigners.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Turkish order of knighthood, instituted in 1852 by the sultan Abdul-Medjid, and conferred on many foreign officers who took part with Turkey in the Crimean war.
- n. A modern silver coin of Turkey, named from the sultan Abdul-Medjid, who coined it in 1844. It is equivalent to 20 piasters, and worth, approximately, 85 cents.
Sorry, no etymologies found.