from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See melanosis.
- n. Dark coloration of the skin, hair, fur, or feathers because of a high concentration of melanin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. congenital excess of melanin pigmentation in the skin, hair, feathers and/or eyes; the condition of being melano
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An undue development of dark-colored pigment in the skin or its appendages; -- the opposite of
- n. A disease; black jaundice. See Melæna.
- n. The character of having a high degree of pigmentation, as shown in dark skin, eyes, and hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In physiology, an undue development of coloring material in the skin and its appendages: the opposite of albinism; specifically, in zoology, the abnormal development of black or dark pigment in the pelage of a mammal or the plumage of a bird.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a condition characterized by abnormal deposits of melanin (especially in the skin)
Sorry, no etymologies found.