from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The chin.
- n. A chin-like projection below the mouth of certain mollusks.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The front median plate of the labium in insects. See labium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chin; the anterior and inferior part of the mandible or under jawbone of a mammal, with or without associated soft parts.
- n. In entomology, the median or central and usually principal part of the labium.
- n. In botany, a projection in front of the flower in some orchids, caused by the extension of the foot of the column
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a projection like a chin formed by the sepals and base of the column in some orchids
- n. the protruding part of the lower jaw
- n. a projection below the mouth of certain mollusks that resembles a chin
Mentum: a labial sclerite bearing the movable parts; attached to and sometimes fused with the sub-mentum; corresponds to the (united) stipes of maxillae: in Coleoptera, what is usually called mentum is really submentum: in Diptera, the term is applied to the posterior oral margin: in Hymenoptera, is part of "tongue," the second joint bearing the labial palpi, paraglossae and ligula.
A 2004 presidential bid failed to recapture the Joe-mentum'' of the earlier race, and he bowed out early.
As Mike Ditka might say, the Chicago bid needs more mo-mentum as the race nears the wire.
By getting the House to act first, he created a valuable (but rather intangible) thing in Washington -- "political momentum" (insert your own "Joe-mentum" joke here, I guess...)
It absolutely pains me to type it, but he's really shown some "Joe-mentum" this week.
The laws of political physics behind the theory of Joe-mentum proved to be a disaster.
Joe-mentum has left the station on the wrong track.
Joe-mentum: Actually, my esteemed colleague Michael Scherer got there first on the Zell Miller analogy more than a month ago.
It's crystal clear who has the momentum, and who has the Joe-mentum.
It's really time for Joe and his Joe-mentum to stop caucusing with the Democrats.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.