American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A protozoan cell that arises from the schizogony of a parent sporozoan and may enter either the asexual or sexual phase of the life cycle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the life-cycle of a sporozoön, one of the cells to which a dividing spore gives rise. They appear as buds radiating from the parent cell and afterward become free.
- n. biology A protozoan cell, produced by a sporozoan by merogony, that may become either a meront or a gamont
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A form of spore, usually elongate or falciform, and somewhat amoeboid, produced by segmentation of the schizonts of certain Sporozoa, as the malaria parasite.
- n. a cell that arises from the asexual division of a parent sporozoan during its life cycle
- mero- + -zoite (Wiktionary)
“The new vaccine targets the malaria parasite after it has made its way though the bloodstream and into the liver, where it transforms into a new form called a merozoite, which can infect new red blood cells and cause fever and illness.”
“After invading the erythrocyte, merozoite de-differentiates into a round trophozoite form.”
“The only small problem with Ms. Shah's narrative is the likelihood that if you don't know your falciparum from your vivax and your merozoite from your schizont, you won't be learning it all here.”
“Hensmann M, Li C, Moss C, Lindo V, Greer F, et al. (2004) Disulfide bonds in merozoite surface protein 1 of the malaria parasite impede efficient antigen processing and affect the in vivo antibody response.”
“ADRB activity is correlated with anti-merozoite cytophilic IgG1 and IgG3 antibody titers”
“To determine if ADRB activity is associated with particular IgG isotypes, sera from 88 aparasitemic Ndiop residents were monitored for merozoite antibodies using isotype specific reagents.”
“Conversely, while ADRB functional IgG activity was highly correlated with clinical outcome here (especially for Dielmo and for the youngest children in Ndiop), anti-merozoite IgG levels (ELISA) were not when age was also considered, showing that ADRB functionality was a more relevant predictor of clinical outcome.”
“Poisson regression analysis of anti-merozoite IgG levels and clinical outcome for non-parasitized Ndiop inhabitants.”
“C-terminal merozoite surface protein 1, two forms of a leading malaria vaccine candidate.”
“Characterization and activity of merozoite preparations.”
Looking for tweets for merozoite.