from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protozoan cell that arises from the schizogony of a parent sporozoan and may enter either the asexual or sexual phase of the life cycle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A protozoan cell, produced by a sporozoan by merogony, that may become either a meront or a gamont
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form of spore, usually elongate or falciform, and somewhat amoeboid, produced by segmentation of the schizonts of certain Sporozoa, as the malaria parasite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the life-cycle of a sporozoön, one of the cells to which a dividing spore gives rise. They appear as buds radiating from the parent cell and afterward become free.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cell that arises from the asexual division of a parent sporozoan during its life cycle
mero- + -zoite (Wiktionary)