from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a head of medium breadth, with a cephalic index between 76 and 80.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a head that is not particularly short or long from front to back (relative to its width from left to right).
- n. A mesocephalic person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to, or in the region of, the middle of the head.
- adj. Having the cranial cavity of medium capacity; neither megacephalic nor microcephalic.
- adj. Having the ratio of the length to the breadth of the cranium a medium one; mesaticephalic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In craniometry, of medium size; neither large nor small; with a capacity of from 1,350 to 1,450 cubic centimeters.
- Having a skull of medium breadth or capacity.
- Of or relating to the mesencephalon.
The Bossonians are of medium height and complection, their eyes brown or grey, and they are mesocephalic.
The Bossonians are of medium height and complexion, their eyes brown or grey, and they are mesocephalic.
The Solomon Islanders for several years have been confirmed vegetarians, and the pronounced modification in their mesocephalic skulls and the improvement of their facial angle afford the surest guarantee against any relapse.
No one, he believed, had ever maintained that a mesocephalic skull was split or differentiated into a dolichocephalic and a brachycephalic variety in the bright sunshine of history.
Besides the general division of skulls into dolichocephalic, brachycephalic, and mesocephalic, other divisions had been undertaken, according to the height of the skull, and again according to the maxillary and the facial angles.
This distinction had formed the foundation for a more scientific classification into brachycephalic, dolichocephalic, and mesocephalic skulls.
Anthropologists generally speak of any one with an index of 75 (or where the breadth is 75\% of the length) and below this as dolichocephalic, or long-headed; from 75 to 80 is the class of the mesocephalic, intermediates; while above 80 is that of the subbrachycephalic and brachycephalic, or round-headed.
The Eskimo are small, dolichocephalic, and have a yellow skin; the Tehuelches are large, dolichocephalic, and have a reddish skin; the Polynesians are large, mesocephalic, and have a reddish skin.
# Native races of South American = = small stature, nose projecting and straight, mesocephalic or dolichocephalic.
# Ugrian race = = nose straight or concave, small stature, mesocephalic or dolichocephalic, projecting cheek-bones;
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.