from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A change from one subject to another.
- n. Any change in the course of a disease; metabola.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A transition from one subject to another.
- n. Same as Metabola.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In rhetoric, a passing from one thing to another; transition.
- n. In medicine, a change, as in treatment or remedies, or of air, tissue, disease, etc. Also called metabola.
From Late Latin metabasis, from Ancient Greek μετάβασις (metábasis, "a change, a transition"), from μεταβαίνω (metabaíno, "I cross"), from μετά (metá) and βαίνω (baíno, "I move"), from Proto-Indo-European *gʷem- (Wiktionary)