from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The stage of mitosis and meiosis, following prophase and preceding anaphase, during which the chromosomes are aligned along the metaphase plate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the stage of mitosis and meiosis, that follows prophase and comes before anaphase, during which condensed chromosomes become aligned before being separated
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cytology, the second or middle stage of karyokinetic cell-division, or mitosis, in which the chromosomes are collected to form the equatorial plate of the spindle and undergo longitudinal fission. Compare anaphase and telophase.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the second stage of meiosis
- n. the second stage of mitosis
Sorry, no etymologies found.