from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spherical, aerobic, gram-positive bacterium of the genus Micrococcus, usually occurring in irregular clusters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a group of spherical, aerobic, gram-positive bacteria, of the genus Micrococcus, that are wide-ranging and harmless
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of Spherobacteria, in the form of very small globular or oval cells, forming, by transverse division, filaments, or chains of cells, or in some cases single organisms shaped like dumb-bells (Diplococcus), all without the power of motion. See Illust. of ascoccus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of Schizomycetes (fission-fungi or bacteria), and the only one of the tribe Sphærobacteria.
- n. [lowercase) pl. micrococci (-sī).] Any member of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the family Micrococcaceae
micro- + -coccus (Wiktionary)