from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mild fever, usually occurring at the beginning of lactation, associated with infection following childbirth.
- n. A disease affecting dairy cows and occasionally sheep or goats, especially soon after giving birth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of fever occurring in women shortly after childbirth (previously associated with the start of lactation).
- n. A fatal metabolic disorder in dairy cattle, occurring at the start of lactation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form puerperal peritonitis in cattle; also, a variety of meningitis occurring in cows after calving.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name applied to light feverish attacks coming on shortly after childbirth, and coinciding more or less with the beginning of lactation.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.