from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mathematics The symbol -, as in 4 - 2 = 2, that is used to indicate subtraction or a negative quantity.
- n. Chemistry The same symbol, used to indicate levorotatory rotation of polarized light.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The symbol − or - used to denote the operation of subtraction and to indicate that a number is negative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the sign [-] denoting minus, or less, prefixed to negative quantities, or quantities to be subtracted. See Negative sign, under Negative.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sign indicating the operation of subtraction
Sorry, no etymologies found.