from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A fixed or adjustable device for guiding handsaws in cutting miter joints or in making crosscuts, especially an open-ended box with slotted sides.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. an apparatus for guiding a handsaw at the proper angle in making a miter joint; esp., a wooden or metal trough with vertical kerfs in its upright sides, for guides.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In carpentry, a long narrow wooden box consisting of a bottom and two sides in which kerfs at an angle of 45 (or some other angle) are cut for the reception of a saw: used in cutting pieces of wood to form miter-joints.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. hand tool for guiding handsaws in making crosscuts or miter joints


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.