from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to Mithridates
- adj. Of or pertaining to a mithridate
- n. An antidotal or protective mixture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to King Mithridates, or to a mithridate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Mithridates, specifically to Mithridates VI. of Pontus (died about 63 b. c.): as, the Mithridatic wars. Also Mithradatic.
- [lowercase] Pertaining to or of the nature of mithridate.
This is a far more efficacious method than the supposed mithridatic "habituation" or "toleration" of a poison, with small doses of which you have to be gradually prepared.
There are people who have an appetite for grief, pleasure is not strong enough and they crave pain, mithridatic stomachs which must be fed on poisoned bread, natures so doomed that no prosperity can soothe their ragged and dishevelled desolation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.