from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A doctrine of moderation (in any field)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Moderation in doctrines or opinion, especially in politics or religion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being moderate, in any sense.
- n. Specifically [capitalized] The attitude and practice of the Moderates in the Church of Scotland. See moderate, n. .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a political philosophy of avoiding the extremes of left and right by taking a moderate position or course of action
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If such divine enthusiasm has its perils, we believe that they are less to be dreaded than that "moderatism" which makes the servants of God satisfied with the letter of Scripture if only that letter be skillfully and scientifically handled, rather than giving the supreme place to the Spirit as the inspirer and motor of all
They got lucky in that their nominal moderatism had not yet been put to the test with the Democrats in charge of the agenda.
Restrained feel good moderatism with the net result, as here, of often furthering Bush policies.
I believe that the political pendulum is swinging, that we are moving away from the conservatives and towards moderatism.
Rose Ferlita elected to Hillsborough County Commission and Ronda Storms booted upstairs to be lost admist the big boys in Tallahassee. 2007 shall see the gradual return of moderatism.
I'm a liberal committed to moderatism, but who's playing that tune anymore?
In other words, my years as a liberal Utahn prepared me for a happy life of Massachusetts moderatism.
I am essentially advocating a form of deliberate moderatism to liberal ministers.
He was, nevertheless, accused by Robespierre of moderatism.
Robespierre occupied a position midway between these two, condemning alike the moderatism of Danton and the atheistic communism of Hebert.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.