from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The central, conical, bony core of the cochlea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The central core of the cochlea
- n. A chiasma of facial muscles held together by fibrous tissue
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The central column in the osseous cochlea of the ear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pl. modioli (-lī). In anatomy, the columella cochleæ or central pillar around which the cochlear lamina winds in a spiral like a staircase.
- n. . 2. [capitalized] In conchology, same as Modiola.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the central conical bony pillar of the cochlea
Latin, socket, hub, diminutive of modius, a measure of grain, measuring vessel; see med- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)