modulator-demodulator love



from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An electronic device that converts electronic signals into sound waves, and sound waves into electronic signals, used to transmit information between computers by the use of ordinary telephone lines; usually called a modem.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word modulator-demodulator.


  • The idea of pushing data down a telephonic connection through the intermediary of an acoustically coupled modulator-demodulator?

    The New Retro

  • Ah, the modulator-demodulator, better known as the modem.

    [H]ardOCP News/Article Feed

  • If he were not being paid to be amongst David Bradley’s stable of boys and girls who issue opinion, wouldn’t Brian Williams be dismissing him as a “Vinny” from the Bronx who’s got a modulator-demodulator and lives in an efficiency?

    Matthew Yglesias » Clive Crook on Civility


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.