from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of moneron.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. The lowest division of rhizopods, including those which resemble the amœbas, but are destitute of a nucleus.
- n.pl. One of the five kingdoms of living organisms in the five-kingdom classification, consisting of microscopic usually monocellular prokaryotic organisms that mostly reproduce by asexual fission, sporulation, or budding; it includes the bacteria and cyanophytes (blue-green algae), as well as certain primitive pathogenic microbes, such as the Rickettsias.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Haeckel's name of a class of protozoans of the simplest possible characters.
- n. [lowercase] Plural of moneron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. prokaryotic bacteria and blue-green algae and various primitive pathogens; because of lack of consensus on how to divide the organisms into phyla informal names are used for the major divisions
Sorry, no etymologies found.