American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A short, tight-fitting jacket, traditionally worn by sailors.
- n. See mess jacket.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short close-fitting coat or jacket, generally made of stout material, as pilot-cloth, much worn by sailors in cold weather; a Guernsey frock.
- n. dated A type of close-fit jacket worn by sailors
- n. A semiformal lightweight jacket, usually made of nylon, with striped cuffs and neck, similar to an MA-1 flight jacket.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a short closely fitting jacket, worn by sailors.
- n. waist-length jacket tapering to a point at the back; worn by officers in the mess for formal dinners
- From its resemblance to the jacket worn by an organ grinder's monkey. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Formless music issued from behind its plush, while a boy in a monkey jacket flicked his hips on the heavier beats.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘monkey jacket’.
looks like there's not an open Moby Dick list. So now there is.
Words of interest from the book Moby Dick.
Interesting words and usages.
A place for me to store my Newfoundland English, as I learn it. (Might take a while.)
Terms defined in the glossary of Clifford W. Ashley's "Yankee Whaler".
Do as your mom says and put on a jacket.
Looking for tweets for monkey jacket.