from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See goosefish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any large bottom-dwelling anglerfish of the genus Lophius, such as Lophius piscatorius, of the Atlantic, having a large head and mouth.
- n. Angel sharks of the genus Squatina.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The angel fish (Squatina).
- n. The angler (Lophius), esp. the goosefishes Lophius Americanus in America and Lophius piscatorius in Europe, used for food.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The angel-fish, Squatina angelus.
- n. The angler, Lophius piscatorius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fishes having large mouths with a wormlike filament attached for luring prey
- n. sharks with broad flat bodies and winglike pectoral fins but that swim the way sharks do
- n. flesh of a large-headed anglerfish of the Atlantic waters of North America
Let me remind you all that monkfish is not only a North Atlantic fish but is also found in the Mediterranean in seasonally warm waters off of Corsica, Spain and France.
When the monkfish is nicely crispy and just about cooked through, sizzling in the mushroom juices, add the prawns to the pan.
When the noodles are cooked or heated through, remove the monkfish from the frying pan, slice it into generous chunks (it should break apart quite nicely, but it’s a firm fish so shouldn’t disintegrate) and add to the stock, along with the mushrooms, prawns, juices, and the sliced pak choi.
I took note of this episode because Lidia Matticchio Bastianich called monkfish an ugly fish with a tail that tastes like lobster.
Known for his wizardly approach to seafood, Mr. Lazarou is one of the first chefs to use less expensive fish like the lanky monkfish and the long, ungainly garfish to make a wealth of gourmet dishes such as monkfish with mastiha liquor cream from the Aegean island of Hios and braised garfish with fava bean mousse.
At a dead heat, Richard goes against Dale to clean the monkfish which is insane looking.
There has been a recent increase in landings of less utilized species such as monkfish, cusk, white hake, and skate.
Lophius piscatorius-that's "monkfish" to seafood fans-could prove a tasty addition to Greenland's fishery, according to study leader Peter Møller.
Meat and fish feature in the main courses at the Josefin, with highlights such as monkfish suquet, caramelized cod with purée of arbequina olives, roast shoulder of baby goat with ganxet beans, free-range chicken with sanfaina (ratatouille) or sautéed Catalan sausage with wild mushrooms.
Five boats, including the Fraserburgh-registered Caspian, are testing the equipment which allows cod to be freed while catching other fish such as monkfish and megrim.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.