from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See goosefish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any large bottom-dwelling anglerfish of the genus Lophius, such as Lophius piscatorius, of the Atlantic, having a large head and mouth.
- n. Angel sharks of the genus Squatina.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The angel fish (Squatina).
- n. The angler (Lophius), esp. the goosefishes Lophius Americanus in America and Lophius piscatorius in Europe, used for food.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The angel-fish, Squatina angelus.
- n. The angler, Lophius piscatorius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fishes having large mouths with a wormlike filament attached for luring prey
- n. sharks with broad flat bodies and winglike pectoral fins but that swim the way sharks do
- n. flesh of a large-headed anglerfish of the Atlantic waters of North America
Perhaps from the cowled appearance of its head.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)