from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An upward cut with a blade
- n. An upright piece in any framework, such as a muntin or stile
- n. The first scent of a cognac
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An upward thrust or blow.
- n. An upright piece in any framework; a mullion or muntin; a stile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Rising; specifically, in her..
- increasing, or in her increment (applied to the moon), or
- placed in pale and with the head or point uppermost (same as haurient in the case of a fish).
- n. In fencing, apparently a blow from below upward, but the sense is uncertain.
- n. In joinery, the intermediate vertical part of a piece of framing which is tenoned with the rails. See cut under door.
From Italian montante (Wiktionary)
From French montant (Wiktionary)