from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A eye affected by the moon; also, a disease in the eye of a horse.
- n. Any species of American fresh-water fishes of the genus Hyodon, esp. Hyodon tergisus of the Great Lakes and adjacent waters.
- n. The cisco.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An eye affected, or supposed to be affected, by the moon.
- n. A disease of the eye in horses.
- n. A name of several fishes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. recurrent eye inflammation in horses; sometimes resulting in blindness
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Many coloured shine the vapours: to the moon-eye far away
My lord with the moon-eye, making inquiries about the N'bosini, came to the Ochori and I told him much that he wrote down in a book.
M'ilitani, that I am not to blame, because my lord with the moon-eye wrote down these things.
(though George says that gar, moon-eye, and paddlefish are even lower -- piscine untouchables).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.