from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional English folk dance performed by a team of costumed dancers, often men but also men and women together or women only, who often wield sticks or handkerchiefs.
- v. To perform in such a dance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Morris.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dance of persons in costume, especially of persons wearing hoods and dresses tagged with bells; also, any mumming performance in which dancing played a conspicuous part.
- n. A kind of country-dance still popular in the north of England.
- n. Also called Morisco, Moor-dance, and formerly Moresque dance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various English folk dances performed by dancers in costume
Thought to be from Moorish + dance. The German Moriskentanz is cognate. (Wiktionary)