from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A scribbling-gage having two points which can be adjusted to the required distance of the mortise or tenon from the working-edge, as well as to the width of the mortise and the size of the tenon.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The _mortise-gage_, Fig. 217, is a marking-gage with two spurs, with which two parallel lines can be drawn at once, as in laying out mortises.

    Handwork in Wood

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.