from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A rolled steel or iron plate which is bolted transversely between the longitudinal frame-plates of a locomotive, to carry the ends of the cross-head guides which are farthest from the cylinder. The connecting-rods and valve-rods sometimes pass through openings in this plate.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.