from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any wormlike insect larva, as of certain beetles, that lives and grows in manure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A larva living in mud or manure.
- n. Someone who gathers wealth through overwork of employees and sordid means; a miser.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A larva or grub that lives in muck or manure; -- applied to the larvæ of the tumbledung and allied beetles.
- n. One who scrapes together money by mean labor and devices; a miser.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A worm that lives in muck.
- n. A miser; one who scrapes together money by mean devices.
muck + worm (Wiktionary)