from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various slender, rod-shaped, aerobic bacteria of the genus Mycobacterium, which includes the bacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many rod-shaped, aerobic bacteria, of the genus Mycobacterium, that cause diseases such as tuberculosis and leprosy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any of various rod-shaped bacteria, some saprophytic or causing diseases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus proposed by Lehmann-Neumann to include certain pathogenic bacteria, as Bacterium lepræ: regarded as synonymous with the genus Bacterium, in which it is included by Migula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rod-shaped bacteria some saprophytic or causing diseases
Sorry, no etymologies found.