American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The segment of a somite in a vertebrate embryo that differentiates into skeletal muscle.
- n. A muscle or group of muscles derived from one somite and innervated by a single segment of a spinal nerve.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A muscular segment or metamere; a myocomma. See cut under Pharyngobranchii.
- n. An instrument for dividing a muscle.
- n. biology In vertebrate embryonic development, a group of tissues formed from somites that develop into the body wall muscle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A muscular segment; one of the zones into which the muscles of the trunk, especially in fishes, are divided; a myocomma.
- n. One of the embryonic muscular segments arising from the protovertebræ; also, one of the protovertebræ themselves.
- n. The muscular system of one metamere of an articulate.
“The dark line in the graph indicates a peak time of long range interactive processes and again, the real argument is about how broad that peak might be, and how much are the different fundamental processes, such as myotome and branchial arch formation, unlinked, and how subsequent developmental events become more independent.”
“The cells of the segment become differentiated into three groups, which form respectively the cutis-plate or dermatome, the muscle-plate or myotome, and the sclerotome (Fig. 64).”
“Transverse section of a human embryo of fourteen days. mr medullary tube, ch chorda. vu umbilical vein, mt myotome, mp middle plate, ug prorenal duct, lh body-cavity, e ectoderm, bh ventral skin, hf skin-fibre layer, df gut-fibre layer.”
“In each of the provertebrae it is called the "sclerotome" (in opposition to the outlying muscular plate, the "myotome").”
“B medullary tube, C chorda, C1 inner chorda-sheath, D visceral epithelium, E sub-intestinal vein. 1 cutis, 2 muscle-plate (myotome),”
“The ribs themselves have extended down the embryos 'flanks and are surrounded by a layer of muscle called the muscle plate (or myotome).”
“(or subintestinal) vein, mt myotome, mm muscular mass of the provertebra, mp middle plate, ug prorenal duct, lh body-cavity, e ectoderm of the rudimentary extremities, mz mesenchymic cells, z point where the myotome and nephrotome separate.”
Looking for tweets for myotome.