from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The segment of a somite in a vertebrate embryo that differentiates into skeletal muscle.
- n. A muscle or group of muscles derived from one somite and innervated by a single segment of a spinal nerve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In vertebrate embryonic development, a group of tissues formed from somites that develop into the body wall muscle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A muscular segment; one of the zones into which the muscles of the trunk, especially in fishes, are divided; a myocomma.
- n. One of the embryonic muscular segments arising from the protovertebræ; also, one of the protovertebræ themselves.
- n. The muscular system of one metamere of an articulate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A muscular segment or metamere; a myocomma. See cut under Pharyngobranchii.
- n. An instrument for dividing a muscle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.