from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several marine fishes of the family Belonidae, having slender bodies, needlelike teeth, and narrow jaws.
- n. Any of various other fishes, such as the pipefish, having projecting jaws.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Slender fish, in the family Belonidae, usually found in shallow marine habitats.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The European great pipefish (Siphostoma acus or Syngnathus acus); -- called also earl, and tanglefish.
- n. The garfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different garfishes or bill-fishes; any belonid: so called from the sharp, slender snout. See Belonidæ and gar.
- n. A pipe-fish, Syngnathus acus, or other species of the genus or family Syngnathidæ. See Syngnathus.
- n. The agonoid fish Aspidophoroides monopterygius.
- n. Same as needle-shell.
- n. A fish of the family Tylosuridæ, widely distributed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fish with long tubular snout and slim body covered with bony plates
- n. elongate European surface-dwelling predacious fishes with long toothed jaws; abundant in coastal waters
Sorry, no etymologies found.