American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several marine fishes of the family Belonidae, having slender bodies, needlelike teeth, and narrow jaws.
- n. Any of various other fishes, such as the pipefish, having projecting jaws.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different garfishes or bill-fishes; any belonid: so called from the sharp, slender snout. See Belonidæ and gar.
- n. A pipe-fish, Syngnathus acus, or other species of the genus or family Syngnathidæ. See Syngnathus.
- n. The agonoid fish Aspidophoroides monopterygius.
- n. Same as needle-shell.
- n. A fish of the family Tylosuridæ, widely distributed.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The European great pipefish (Siphostoma acus or Syngnathus acus); -- called also
earl, and tanglefish.
- n. The garfish.
- n. fish with long tubular snout and slim body covered with bony plates
- n. elongate European surface-dwelling predacious fishes with long toothed jaws; abundant in coastal waters
“I have a love hate relationship with needlefish on a fly.”
“Freshwater gar (various species), especially spotted and longnose gar resemble needlefish in body type/form.”
“Maybe a good fly for needlefish would be some poly rope tied to a hook shank broken off at the bend.”
“Among the 15th- to 16th-century blue-and-white stoneware, a dish features a sprightly deer scampering along a river and a jar teems with needlefish darting in and out of seaweed.”
“Whoa, that is the biggest needlefish I've ever seen, and it sure is pretty!”
“Weight: 1 ¼ oz. Details: No matter which bait is prevalent, from herring to needlefish to sardines, this lure matches it perfectly.”
“The needlefish were keeping pace, still congregating around his big toe.”
“Swimmer nearly eviscerated by a crocodile needlefish in Hawaii”
“Nineteen-year-old Tonga "Papio" Loumoli was diving at night in Hawaii when a four-foot-long crocodile needlefish sliced him from groin to breastbone.”
“Reader comment: Rufus says: You probably get a lot of mail, however you got it a bit wrong about the needlefish.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘needlefish’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
Looking for tweets for needlefish.