American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A severe, often gangrenous inflammation of the mouth or genitals, occurring usually after an infectious disease and found most often in children in poor hygienic or malnourished condition.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In medicine, a gangrenous ulceration of the mouth or of the pudendal labia in children; when affecting the mouth, called also gangrenous stomatitis, or cancrum oris. Also nome.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) See canker, n., 1.
- n. acute ulceration of the mucous membranes of the mouth or genitals; often seen in undernourished children
- Latin nomē, ulcer, from Greek, pasturage, feeding, spreading (of a sore); see nem- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He tries to find a genetic cause for the disease 'noma' (a rare gangrenous condition of the face and mouth), studies physical abnormalities and contagious diseases, conducts experiments with wounds, and attempts to change the colour of inmate's eyes to blue with injections of chemicals directly into the eyeball.”
“Swallowed up by her jacket, the petite Andrea whispers that she worked at noma.”
“As the announcer reached the final two places on the list, a gasp went through the room: for the first time in four years, elBulli had fallen to second place, beat out of the top slot by noma.”
“Located in a renovated warehouse on the docks in Copenhagen, noma had, by 2008, rapidly gained a reputation as one of the most exciting restaurants in the world, thanks to the efforts of its talented, passionate young chef, René Redzepi.”
“By October, she had secured a position as line cook at noma.”
“It is the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden and can be visited at noma. org.”
“Did you know that your stolen handle spelled backwards says: sou my noma?”
“What I like most is that these un-conferences incorporate the best ideas from noma …”
“Sonke besithi ngeke sisale ekwakheni lolumbimbi noma ukhukhulelangoqo wokulwisana nodlame, inzondo nendluzula.”
“Amakhosi endabuko abenganakiwe uhulumeni wobandlululo nawohulumeni bezabelo, namuhla abaholi bendabuko sebeyahola ngisho nezinduna imbala seziyahola noma ke uhlelo lusaqhubeka.”
Looking for tweets for noma.