from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not effective.
- adj. (military) Not able to assume active duty.
- n. A member of the military who is unable to assume active duty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not effective; ineffective.
- adj. Not fit or available for duty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having no power to produce an effect; causing no effect.
- Unfitted for active service: applied to that portion of the personnel of an army or a navy that is not in a condition for active service, as superannuated and half-pay officers, pensioners, and the like.
- Connected with non-effectives, their maintenance, etc.
- n. A member of a military force who is not in condition for active service, as through age, illness, etc.
non- + effective (Wiktionary)