from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A combination of nine instruments or voices.
- n. A composition written for such a combination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a composition written for nine instruments or nine voices
- n. a group of nine nuclear or subatomic particles
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A composition for nine instruments, rarely for nine voices.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, a composition for nine voices or instruments. Also nonetto.
Italian nonetto, from diminutive of nono, ninth, from Latin nōnus; see nones.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian nonetto, from nono, ninth (Wiktionary)