from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hook on a pole to pull down boughs for gathering nuts.
- n. A thief who steals by means of a hook, or a bailiff who hooks or seizes malefactors.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hook at the end of a pole to pull down boughs for gathering the nuts.
- n. A thief who steals by means of a hook; also, a bailiff who hooks or seizes malefactors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pole with a hook at the end used to pull down boughs to bring nuts within reach.
- n. A bailiff: so called in derision, because armed with a catch-pole.
nut + hook (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.