from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A line of verse consisting of eight metrical feet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A line of verse containing eight metrical feet
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A verse containing eight feet; as, -- Deep" in|to" the | dark"ness | peer"ing, | long" I | stood" there | wond'"ring, | fear"ing.
- n. A molecule composed of eight monomer units bound to each other, usually in a linear array.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In prosody, consisting of eight measures (monopodies or dipodies).
- n. In prosody, a verse or period consisting of eight measures. This word is little used, except in the sense of ‘octapody’ by some writers on modern versification who confound measure with foot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a verse line having eight metrical feet
Sorry, no etymologies found.