Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thing made up of eight parts, as a poem of eight lines, a body of eight persons, or the like.
- n. In Gnosticism: In the system of Basilides (see Basilidianism), a group of eight divine beings, namely the supreme god and the seven most direct emanations from him; according to another authority, the ethereal region where the great archon sits at the right hand of his father.
- n. In the system of Valentinus, a group of eight divine beings called eons. The ogdoad, with the addition of the decad and the dodecad, makes up the sum of thirty eons called the pleroma.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A thing made up of eight parts.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one
- Ancient Greek (Wiktionary)
“The Egyptian god Osiris was the Baal of the Phoenicians, the Marduk of the Babylonians, the Tammuz of the Semites, the Nimrod of the Bible, the Pangu of the ogdoad.”
“In the beginning there was nothing in the universe except a formless chaos. like the ogdoad!”
“All united, these divinities of the ogdoad form the beginnings and are the fathers and mothers of all things.”
“Nun now began to differentiate itself — i.e., its qualities became manifest in a cosmogonic ogdoad of deities (four pairs, male and female); Nun and Nunet, Heh and Hehet, Keke and Keket, Nenu and Nenut.”
“The ogdoad of the Egyptians and similar numerical phantasies among other peoples had no influence on Christian liturgy.”
“From that, again, it follows that the Jaina doctrine of bondage and release is untenable; according to which doctrine 'the soul, which in the state of bondage is encompassed by the ogdoad of works and sunk in the ocean of sa/m/sâra, rises when its bonds are sundered, as the gourd rises to the surface of the water when it is freed from the encumbering clay .”
“LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Marina del Rey attorney was sentenced Weekday to seven age and ogdoad months in situation for his persona in an motorcar insurance fraud jewellery that stole almost $3 1000000, officials said.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ogdoad’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Religious, philosophical, supernatural terms and words.
...words to be reassigned as time allows.
Looking for tweets for ogdoad.