from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a class of unsaturated open-chain hydrocarbons such as ethylene, having the general formula CnH2n; an alkene with only one carbon-carbon double bond.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a class of unsaturated open-chain hydrocarbons such as ethylene; an alkene with only one carbon-carbon double bond.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Olefiant gas, or ethylene. See ethylene.
- n. Any one of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons of which ethylene is the type; a member of the alkene series of hydrocarbons; an alkene.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any unsaturated aliphatic hydrocarbon
After nine very productive years at MSU where I started my work in olefin metathesis and a number of other areas of catalysis, I was offered
In a similar way, the discoveries in olefin metathesis have led to new processes that can benefit from detailed mechanistic explorations.
Although metallacyclopentanes are not important in olefin metathesis, they have been found to be important in a variety of other olefin dimerization reactions.
Williams Cos. fourth-quarter earnings rose 1.2% as the natural-gas company benefited from higher natural-gas-liquid and olefin profits, partly offset by lower natural-gas prices.
He said Reliance will build a 1.5-million-ton olefin cracker at its Jamnagar facility in the western state of Gujarat.
This is the perfect fabric for those high traffic areas and for smaller fabric areas; you can find olefin combined with other fabrics to create beauty and function.
It's a combination of nylon, aramid and olefin fiber.
Depending on the properties of the naphtha feedstock (as measured by the paraffin, olefin, naphthene, and aromatic content) and catalysts used, reformates can be produced with very high concentrations of toluene, benzene, xylene, and other aromatics useful in gasoline blending and petrochemical processing.
Among the claims were that Kiss My Face's "Obsessively Organic" cleansers contained olefin sulfonate, a petrochemical, and that Avalon "Organics" contain the petrochemical Amdiopropyl Betaine.
In April 2001, KPIC approved a $1.5 billion plan to construct "Equate II," which would produce olefin (ethylene, polyethylene, ethylene glycol).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.