from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a class of unsaturated open-chain hydrocarbons such as ethylene, having the general formula CnH2n; an alkene with only one carbon-carbon double bond.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a class of unsaturated open-chain hydrocarbons such as ethylene; an alkene with only one carbon-carbon double bond.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Olefiant gas, or ethylene. See ethylene.
- n. Any one of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons of which ethylene is the type; a member of the alkene series of hydrocarbons; an alkene.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any unsaturated aliphatic hydrocarbon
French (gaz) oléfiant, oil-forming (gas), ethylene : Latin oleum, oil; see oil + French -fiant, present participle of -fier, -fy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)