American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A mineral, Cu2(AsO4)(OH), a basic arsenate of copper, that is brown, olive green, or gray in color and found in copper deposits.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An arseniate of copper, usually of an olive-green color, occurring in prismatic crystals, and also in reniform, granular, and fibrous crusts. The latter forms have sometimes a yellow to brown color. Also called
olive-ore, and the fibrous kinds wood-copper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) An olive-green mineral, a hydrous arseniate of copper (Cu2(AsO4)(OH)); olive ore.
- n. rare green to black mineral consisting of hydrated copper arsenate that is found in copper deposits
- From German Olivenerz ("olive ore"), from its olive-green colour + -ite. (Wiktionary)
- German Olivenit : Olive, olive (from Latin olīva; see olive) + -it, n. suff. (from Latin -īta; see -ite1). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘olivenite’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
Looking for tweets for olivenite.