from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous epiphytic tropical American orchids of the genus Oncidium, having clusters of showy flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the genus Oncidium of tropical orchidaceous plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of tropical orchidaceous plants, the flower of one species of which (Oncidium Papilio) resembles a butterfly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of orchids of the tribe Vandeæ, type of the subtribe Oncidieæ, and known by the free, spreading sepals, and spurless lip free from the short two-auricled column.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any orchid of the genus Oncidium: characterized by slender branching sprays of small yellow and brown flowers; often grown as houseplants
New Latin Oncidium, genus name : Greek onkos, barb, hook (from the shape of its labellum) + New Latin -idium, diminutive suff. (from Greek -idion).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name. (Wiktionary)