from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fertilized female cell or zygote, especially one with thick chitinous walls, developed from a fertilized oosphere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fertilized female zygote, having thick chitinous walls, that develops from a fertilized oosphere in some algae and fungi
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A special kind of spore resulting from the fertilization of an oösphere by antherozoids.
- n. A fertilized oösphere in the ovule of a flowering plant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, in cryptogamic plants, the immediate product of the fertilization of the oösphere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thick-walled sexual spore that develops from a fertilized oosphere in some algae and fungi
Sorry, no etymologies found.