from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to ophite.
- adj. Having a texture composed of lath-shaped plagioclase crystals in a matrix of pyroxene crystals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Describing any rock having crystals of feldspar interspersed with plates of augite
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An epithet applied by various lithologists to a structure, especially characteristic of certain diabases and dolerites, in which the augitic constituent is separated into thin plates by interposed lath-shaped crystals of plagioclase, although the identity of the augite crystal is not lost, as is shown by the similar optic orientation of the separated portions.
- Relating to the Ophites. See Ophite.
Sorry, no etymologies found.