from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church An annual calendar containing instructions for the Mass and office to be celebrated on each day of the year.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A musical phrase constructed from one or more statements of one modal pattern and ending in a rest.
- n. A calendar which prescribes the Mass and office which is to be celebrated each day.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In prosody, a colon or series.
- n. In some Latin school-books, especially texts of poets, a rearrangement of the Latin words in English order.
- n. Eccles.: A directory or book of rubrics.
- n. An office or service with its rubrics.
Medieval Latin ōrdō, from Latin, order; see ar- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ōrdō. (Wiktionary)