from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Scientific description of the organs of living things.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific description of the structure and function of the organs of living organisms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A description of the organs of animals or plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, the study of organs and their relations; a description of the organs of plants and animals; descriptive organology.
- n. In music, the scientific description of musical instruments.
The _De Partibus Animalium_ becomes in form a comparative organography, but the emphasis is always on function and community of function.
When his father retired in 1826 he was made professor of agricultural botany at the Jardin des Plantes; in 1845 he was made professor of organography of plants at the university.
He published numerous treatises on botanical subjects, = = = discussing questions of system, organography, physiology, plant geography, and palæontology = = = in various periodicals, chiefly in the "Giornale botanico Italiano" (1844 -), which he founded.
To any contemplating the study of histology and organography we would commend this work. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.