from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Photography Of, relating to, or accurately reproducing the colors of the subject.
- adj. Photography Sensitive to all colors except red: orthochromatic film.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being uniformly sensitive across the entire visible range, and thus reproducing colours faithfully
- adj. Sensitive to all colours except red
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In photography, correct in the relations or in the rendering of colors — that is, free from the usual photographic fault of exaggerating the deepness of greens, yellows, and reds and the brightness of blues and violets.
- Staining in the exact shade of color of the dye used.
- n. An orthochromatic plate; a photographic plate the sensitiveness of which is so distributed throughout the spectrum as to give in the image a normal gradation of light and shade.
ortho- + chromatic (Wiktionary)