from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. Archaic To speak better or more cogently than (another).
- intransitive v. To speak out.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To speak out or aloud.
- v. To declare; utter; express; vocalise.
- v. To surpass in speaking; say or express more than; signify or claim superiority to; be superior to in meaning or significance; speak louder than.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To exceed in speaking.
- transitive v. To speak openly or boldly.
- transitive v. To express more than.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To surpass in speaking; say or express more than; signify or claim superiority to; be superior to in meaning or significance.
- To speak out or aloud.
The McCain campaign understands that McCain cannot outspeak Barack, so they want McCain to dictate how to speak to people. it seems like he is more comfortable talking to 5 or 10 people at a time, than 40,000.
She can outhink and outspeak Obama without a doubt.
Lastly, should Tiger Woods..er, Senator Obama, face McCain in the general not only will he out-debate and outspeak him.
ROONEY: I heard how outspoken I was going to be, so I'm trying to outspeak.
He had always thought well of himself, but never destroyed the good of it by saying so; and whoever praised him had to do it again, to outspeak his modesty.
Foreheads, -- Oh, deign outspeak fierce wrath from bosom outbreathing,
Such changes have in some instances been made; and when so, how often does the old mansion, with outward features in good preservation, outspeak, in all the expression of home-bred comforts, the flashy, gimcrack neighbor, which in its plenitude of modern pretension looks so flauntingly down upon it!
In the event, all of them started to outspeak each other about their commitment to womenâ€ ™ s empowerment, never mind that all these years they have been niggardly about giving election tickets to women politicians.
They can outthink, outspeak and out whatever anyone else and if she had been more organized she would have won it!
But I don’t know what to do, other than to keep writing, and to keep taking the blows, and to hope that I – that all of us – can outlast and outspeak the hate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.