from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To stretch or extend or to be stretched or extended.
- n. The act of spreading out.
- n. Something spread out; an expanse.
- adj. Spread out; extended.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To spread out; expand; extend.
- adj. extended outward, as one's arms
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To spread out; to expand; -- usually as a past part. or adj.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To spread out; extend.
- n. Expansion; the act of spreading abroad; extension.
- n. An extension; an expanse; a spreading out or beyond.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fully extended in width
From out- + spread. Cognate with Dutch uitspreiden ("to outspread, stretch, unfold"), Danish udsprede ("to outspread"), Swedish utspridda ("to outspread"). (Wiktionary)