from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Too familiar, as:
- adj. Exceedingly common or ordinary: overfamiliar sayings.
- adj. Unduly forward or brash; offensively presumptuous: She displayed an overfamiliar attitude toward her superiors.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. common or repeated to the point of being unnoticed or annoying
- adj. so acquainted with something, that one doesn't notice it, or is annoyed by it
- adj. overly friendly or intimate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Taking undue liberties; assuming an unwarranted tone of familiarity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. taking undue liberties
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The last version was FKNAWSM, despite the rambling, sometimes overfamiliar prose and the impression it was a 2nd draft essay before the linking paragraphs were done.
In "Ark," he is unwilling to expend the slightest effort to make his overfamiliar premise plausible.
It seemed like an overfamiliar way of revisiting loss, ageing and regret.
The stand-up material in this video would be overfamiliar to anyone who has an interest in him, but I just loved the line about tickling everybody in the audience.
Connie Willis: D.A. Connie Willis sends up overfamiliar "space academy" stories with this one about the only girl on Earth who has no desire to enroll.
None of them was a reader, so I was mysterious and magical, almost priestlike, treated with a respect I was unused to in my old indoor life among bitter writers and overfamiliar readers, the well-meaning bores of literacy.
Classic, overfamiliar scene: X has just found out that her husband, Y, has cheated on him with Z, her best friend.
But there's no triumph here-not in the indifferent readings of overfamiliar songs, not in the tame B-movie spoofs that seem less campy than the movies themselves.
On Love Makes the Changes (Fantasy), jazz singer Freddy Cole (Nat's younger brother) also avoids the overfamiliar -- the bluesy title cut's a gem -- and pianist Cedar Walton anchors his all-star band.
By now many of the charges and countercharges will seem familiar, or overfamiliar.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.