from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A device in the nature of an overflow-pipe attached to the case of a wet gas-meter to maintain a constant water-line in the drum, and thereby insure accuracy in its measurements, and also to permit a constant change of water and discharge of impurities deposited from the gas.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.