from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Accomplished, traversing, or passing over the land instead of the ocean: an overland journey; an overland route.
- adv. By way of land: traveled overland to the ranch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. by or across land, especially of travel
- adv. Over, across, or by land.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being, or accomplished, over the land, instead of by sea.
- adv. By, upon, or across, land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Over or across the country.
- Passing by land; made or performed upon or across the land: as, an overland journey.
- Especially— The route from Great Britain to India by way of the Isthmus of Suez, as opposed to that around the Cape of Good Hope.
- The route from the country east of the Mississippi to the Pacific coast across the plains and the Rocky Mountains, as opposed to that around Cape Horn, or by way of the Isthmus of Darien.
- In Australia, to cross the country with herds of cattle, sheep, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. traveling or passing over land
The Port. word (attested from 1559) came via Macao; and Rus. chai, Pers. cha, Gk. tsai, Arabic shay and Turk. çay all came overland from the Mandarin form.
It focuses on the Russian tea tradition, revealing a long history that originated in overland Sino-Russian trade via Siberia, this differing significantly from that of Britain with its colonial contacts in India.
The distance to Morelia from there overland is not that much greater than from Veracruz to Morelia.
Some Sangleys, fleeing overland from the Dutch, fell into the hands of Zambal Indians, expert archers and bowmen.
The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898 — Volume 17 of 55 1609-1616 Explorations by Early Navigators, Descriptions of the Islands and Their Peoples, Their History and Records of the Catholic Missions, as Related in Contemporaneous Books and Manuscripts, Showing the Political, Economic, Commercial and Religious Conditions of Those Islands from Their Earliest Relations with European Nations to the Close of the Nineteenth Century
I was feeling worn out after 10 days of challenging travel (West Coast-East Coast flights, Haiti, Guyana-to-Suriname overland)
To the problems of the colonial administration, already preoccupied by political events in Paris, stunned by the uprising of the slaves, and torn asunder by the power struggle between mulatto and white planters, was now added the threat of an enemy army moving overland from the Spanish colony of Santo Domingo.
By a short cut overland, which is not so level, the distance is only about thirty miles, but our Eskimos chose the level course, as it is doubtful whether their excuses for dogs could have hauled the komatik over the hills on the short cut.
They should carry even rigging for the port of Acapulco, since there is rigging at Manila which is very cheap; and then your Highness will not have to spend vast sums in taking it from San Juan de Lua to Acapulco overland, which is one hundred and fifty leguas.
The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898 — Volume 18 of 55 1617-1620 Explorations by Early Navigators, Descriptions of the Islands and Their Peoples, Their History and Records of the Catholic Missions, as Related in Contemporaneous Books and Manuscripts, Showing the Political, Economic, Commercial and Religious Conditions of Those Islands from Their Earliest Relations with European Nations to the Close of the Nineteenth Century
We were now doubly anxious to get away from this cave, so we rapidly finished the discussion of our plan, and Jack arranged that he should accompany what may be termed the overland part of our expedition.
After Amundsen and Scott, the next people to reach the South Pole '' overland '' (albeit with some air support) were Edmund Hillary (January 4, 1958) and Vivian Fuchs (January 19, 1958) and their respective parties, during the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.