from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Accomplished, traversing, or passing over the land instead of the ocean: an overland journey; an overland route.
- adv. By way of land: traveled overland to the ranch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. by or across land, especially of travel
- adv. Over, across, or by land.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being, or accomplished, over the land, instead of by sea.
- adv. By, upon, or across, land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Over or across the country.
- Passing by land; made or performed upon or across the land: as, an overland journey.
- Especially— The route from Great Britain to India by way of the Isthmus of Suez, as opposed to that around the Cape of Good Hope.
- The route from the country east of the Mississippi to the Pacific coast across the plains and the Rocky Mountains, as opposed to that around Cape Horn, or by way of the Isthmus of Darien.
- In Australia, to cross the country with herds of cattle, sheep, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. traveling or passing over land
over + land (Wiktionary)